Mr. Khoroshash, during the Second PPP Investment Forum in Kazakhstan (15 October 2020), you have presented together with Kanat Tosekbaev, General Director of the Republican Center for Health Development the pipeline of PPP healthcare projects in Kazakhstan during a session “Prospects of using off-take argeements for healthcare PPP projects”. Could you please describe main activities of the PPP Project Office?
The Project Office of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Kazakhstan for priority healthcare PPP projects was established in 2019 and consists of a medical team, a technical team, and a team of project managers. Currently there are 10 specialists working in the Project Office, including 1 Chief Manager, 1 PPP Consultant, 5 Project Managers, 1 Legal Support Specialist and 2 Medical Specialists. Our experts take part in every stage of the PPP healthcare project preparation, namely in:
- development of project documentation phase–ensuring the quality of planning of the medical component, assistance in introducing amendments to regulatory and legal acts, preparation of sectorial and economic conclusions, initial examination of project documentation, interaction with national and foreign companies.
- procurement phase – assistance to the Ministry of Health in procurement procedures, preparation of a tender dossier, consultations with potential private partners, initial screening of technical proposals.
- contract Agreement with a private partner – assistance in entering into government obligations and reviewing the project agreement.
What PPP projects are currently supervised by The Project Office?
Let me mention some examples:
- Construction of a 300-bed multidisciplinary hospital in Karaganda at KSMU;
- Construction of a 300-bed multi-field hospital in Almaty at KazNMU;
- Construction of a 1265-bed Joint University Hospital in Almaty at KazNMU;
- Construction of a 500-bed multi-profile regional hospital in Petropavlovsk;
- Construction of a 600-bed multidisciplinary hospital in Nur-Sultan.
- Construction of a 600-bed multidisciplinary hospital in Turkestan.
How is from international donors are supporting development of healthcare PPPs in Kazakhstan?
In December 2019, the Kazakhstani government and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) signed a Memorandum of Understanding on the implementation of a Comprehensive Program for the Modernization of Healthcare Infrastructure in Kazakhstan. The program envisages the construction of up to 19 new hospitals to replace 40 outdated existing facilities and the upgrade of up to 50% of the hospital bed capacity in Kazakhstan as part of the State Health Care Development Program for 2020–2025. I would like like also ackhowledge support of the Asian Development Bank and the World Bank for supporting healthcare reforms in Kazakhstan.
Many thanks for your time and let me wish you and your colleagues successful continuation of your work on healthcare PPPs in Kazakhstan! Interview by Natalia Korchakova-Heeb, Founder of PPPHealth4All